Saturday, May 8, 2010

Names of Babes

I love baby names.    But anyway, I was inspired to talk about baby names by Samantha's blog. :)  And then I read more about baby names here...

When I was 7 weeks pregnant with Caleb, I read the story of Caleb in the Bible for the first time.  Wow, Caleb was a man of God!  He was faithful, bold, and trusted God when few others did.  Caleb is a Hebrew name and actually means "faithful and bold"  At 7 weeks pregnant with our Caleb, I felt he was a boy.  I also felt I should name him Caleb. Caleb is also a family name for us in a way, the first Pomeroy (our last name) to come to America was named Caleb.
Cole and his Dad's middle name is Allan.  So, our first born son's name is...

Caleb Allan


Cole and I talk of baby names very often.  We love talking about any future little babes that may enter our lives down the road...so talking about what to name them is a joy for us!

Here some recent favorites of ours...

GIRL
Eva Christine

I love the name Eva.  It sounds beautiful, light and fresh to me...also gentle and sweet with a little old-fashioned charm.  Eva is a Hebrew name, it means "life".  Christine is my middle name and I would love to give our future daughter (if we ever have a girl, that is) Christine as a middle name.

GIRL

Avigail Jean

The name Avigail was one of our girl choices when pregnant with Caleb.  I love the name because it's delicate, feminine, and different ...but not trendy.  Avigail is a Hebrew name, meaning "my father's joy".  If we were to ever have a daughter named Avigail, we would most likely call her "Avie".  My mother's middle name is Jean, and I love the name Jean for a middle name.  I think Avigail Jean sounds so beautiful together.  A little Avie Jean would be  precious... :)

BOY
Abram Cole

Abram is pretty much set-in-stone our next boy's name (if we have another boy, that is)  We think Abram is a great name for a boy/man as it is strong and just plain sounds like a great name. Abram is also Hebrew and was Abraham's (of the Bible) name before he was named, well, Abraham. We think we'd probably call a little guy named Abram -  "Abe" .  Cole is my husband's name, and we love the way Abram Cole sounds together so that would be his middle name.

BOY

Jude Elliot

I love the name Jude.  Jude is a strong, masculine name.  Jude of the Bible was one of the 12 apostles.  Jude, also Hebrew, means "praise".  As for the middle name, two of my Christian heros are Jim and Elisabeth Elliot


We love Hebrew names.
The meaning of a name is very important to us.
We love using family names as middle names.
We want all of our children's names to flow together nicely.
We love Biblical names, but don't think all of our children's names will derive from the Bible.
All of our children's names may end up being Hebrew (we just love Hebrew names that much)
Cole is very picky with names


that was fun :)  what baby names do you like?  It's so fun to think of them!





No comments: